In 2015, a vehicle was stolen every 13 minutes in Delhi. In 2014, the average interval was 23.6 minutes. The situation is worse in Manipur, Haryana and Bihar.
Thieves have never been this efficient before, and your car or bike never more unsafe. Investigators accept the situation is grim which is why it is important to have a comprehensive insurance policy.
To make a claim, the vehicle needs to be covered under the comprehensive insurance policy, which includes third-party cover, loss/damage to vehicle as a result of an accident, fire or theft, and risks against natural calamities.
You can take several steps to protect your automobile from falling into the hands of car thieves. Never ever leave the vehicle unattended without locking the ignition and removing the key. A significant number of automobiles are stolen because drivers fail to remove ignition keys.
Licenses, registration cards or other identifying papers that a thief could misuse should never be left in the car. Keys should be carefully guarded. If the keys have punch-out numbers these should be removed and kept at home for reference in case of loss.
· Park in a well-lighted area
· Close all windows, lock all doors
· Activate any theft deterrent device you may have
· Put packages or valuable out of sight
· Music decks and other expensive items in full view invite theft.
· Do not keep license, registration or title in car. If left in car, thieves can use these documents to sell your car if stolen, or to impersonate you when they are challenged by police.
· If you have a garage, use it. Lock both the vehicle and the garage.
If your car is stolen, the police will need specific information to identify the car, parts and accessories. Take the time to record detailed information. If a car thief replaces your license plates, alters the vehicle identification number or repaints the car, other points of identification will be available.
There are several alarm systems that will serve to deter or discourage the car thief, and alert others of forced entry into the car. However, don't forget to opt for a comprehensive insurancepolicy. It's your best friend when your precious vehicle goes missing.